The Ohio AAP is seeking practices to join the next wave of the Store It Safe (SIS) Adolescent Suicide Prevention Quality Improvement (QI) Program.
The Ohio Department of Health (ODH) has identified high risk counties for having the highest number of the following for adolescents from 2016-20:
- Suicide attempts
- Rates and number of emergency department visits for suicide attempts
Other important reasons to prioritize adolescent mental health in your practice:
- At any given time, one in five teens are depressed
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death in 10-19 year olds
- Suicide in teens can be triggered by a seemingly small stressor and can happen quickly
- Firearms are the leading cause of death by suicide, and almost 50% of homes in Ohio have a firearm
Enrollment is open now for practices to join the new wave launching soon!
Ohio AAP’s SIS Adolescent Suicide Prevention QI Program will empower physicians and other healthcare professionals to identify and address the risks of suicide at all encounters with adolescents. Training on using evidence-based screening tools will be provided, as well as resources for discussions with all families to ensure a plan is in place for eventual times of crisis.
Program Participation Benefits Include:
- ABP MOC Credit
- Safe storage options, such as lock boxes, valued at $1,500
- $1,000 stipend to support your practice
- Education from content experts
- Personal QI coaching