Ohio Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics (Ohio AAP) and Ohio Academy of Family Physicians (OAFP) are seeking a number of family physician practices to join the next wave of the Store It Safe (SIS) Adolescent Suicide Prevention Quality Improvement (QI) Program.
Family physicians are uniquely poised for success in this program because of their trusted relationships with parents and caregivers and their experience in addressing adolescent challenges.
If you see adolescents ages 11-24 and practice in one of the 17 counties with highest risk (as identified on the map below with a blue star), we invite you to consider participation in this project to earn American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) continuing medical education (CME) credit and American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM) Family Medicine Certification points; benefits for your practice; and better lifelong health for your patients!
The Ohio Department of Health (ODH) has identified high risk counties for having the highest number of the following for adolescents from 2016-20:
- Suicide attempts
- Rates and number of emergency department visits for suicide attempts
Other important reasons to prioritize adolescent mental health in your practice:
- At any given time, one in five teens are depressed
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death in 10-19 year olds
- Suicide in teens can be triggered by a seemingly small stressor and can happen quickly
- Firearms are the leading cause of death by suicide, and almost 50% of homes in Ohio have a firearm
Enrollment is open now for practices to join the new wave launching in July!
Ohio AAP’s SIS Adolescent Suicide Prevention QI Program, along with the OAFP’s partnership, will empower physicians and other healthcare professionals to identify and address the risks of suicide at all encounters with adolescents. Training on using evidence-based screening tools will be provided, as well as resources for discussions with all families to ensure a plan is in place for eventual times of crisis.
Program Participation Benefits Include:
- Earning AAFP CME credit and ABFM Family Medicine Certification points
- Safe storage options, such as lock boxes, valued at $1,500
- $1,000 stipend to support your practice