Thank you for your interest in Ohio AAP’s Virtual Advocacy Internship.
Applying will take a few easy steps!
1. Review the job description and qualifications below.
2. Complete the short application.
3. Upload your PDF resume and SUMBIT.
Applications must be submitted by February 28, 2021.
Questions? Please contact Elizabeth Dawson.
Ohio AAP, a statewide membership organization made up of more than 2,900 pediatricians, trainees and other pediatric providers. The organization’s mission is to promote the health, safety and well-being of all children and adolescents so they can reach their full potential.
Ohio AAP aims to be the “experts at the table” for children’s health issues in the state of Ohio including immunizations, COVID-19, state budget, scope of practice and other topics that impact the health and safety of Ohio’s children.
Our virtual advocacy intern will work with the advocacy team, CEO, COO and relevant team members to support and advance pediatric advocacy initiatives in the Ohio Statehouse, pediatric practices and in the community. This position will learn from a dedicated, expert advocacy team focused on positive child health outcomes.
One specific area of support will be our Ohio Champions for Vaccines (OCV) initiative. We are working on numerous initiatives to increase immunization rates, public awareness, quality improvement, education, advocacy, private practice and public health in Ohio. With the COVID-19 vaccine roll-out across the nation, messages of vaccine safety and effectiveness are critical. This group will help spread messages of science and data through communities across Ohio.
This is a contract position with compensation of $100 stipend per week (billed monthly). Completion of weekly goals will be monitored that include but are not limited to the following, with an estimate of 10 hours per week.
- Providing support for OCV social media, email, websites and other content-related projects
- Increase followers and audience engagement on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and TikTok
- Assist with the creation of OCV member welcome materials
- Brainstorming ways to increase member engagement and capitalize on relevant trends
- Attend virtual meetings with Ohio AAP leadership other sectors including non-profit organizations, business, and local government as needed
Additional Scope of Tasks:
- Under the direction of the CEO assist with advocacy related projects
- Assist with drafting talking points and testimony as needed
- Conduct project-specific research and outreach on a variety of child health issues
- Updates to OhioAAP.org when needed on advocacy issues
Academic Majors Desired: Public Policy, Political Science, Government, Public
Communications and Public Relations-will consider others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
- Strong analytical, writing, and communication skills
- Ability to multitask while maintaining strong attentions to detail
- Ability to work independently
- Interest in child health and public policy issues
- Computer skills in MS Office, social media channels and virtual meeting platforms
- WordPress experience will be helpful
This is a contract position for 3 months, with an option to renew should the funding and need for the work continue.
- Applicant must be a college student at least 18 years old by January 1, 2021
- Applicant must have a computer and phone they are willing to use for this work
- Applicants must be willing and able to work hours 7-10 hours per week during the 10-week internship
- Applicants must be able to provide legal proof of identity and work authorization within three working days of employment
Email letter of interest and resume to Elizabeth Dawson at email@example.com. Phone call or in-person inquiries will not be considered.
Let’s connect on social media!
Facebook: @aapohio Twitter: @OHPediatricians
Instagram: Ohio AAP LinkedIn: Ohio AAP