Wednesday, June 21, 2017 is National ASK Day. The Brady Center to Prevent Gun
One out of three homes with children has guns, many left unlocked or loaded, according to the Brady Center’s recent report, “The Truth About Kids & Guns.” Approximately 1.7 million children in the U.S. live with unsecured guns. Every year, thousands of kids are killed and injured as a result. In fact, 80 percent of unintentional firearm deaths involving kids under 15 occur in the home. And in two-thirds of school shootings, the gun comes from the home of a parent or relative.
Quick Tips for Keeping Children Safe in the Home with Firearms
Since children over age two are more mobile, it’s important to set up your home to keep children safe. Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Guns should always be stored out of sight and locked when not in immediate possession of the gun owner.
- Keep medicines and household cleaners out of a child’s reach.
- Fence in your pool or hot tub on all 4 sides.
- Check for hazards in homes your child may visit.
- Helpful Resources for Families
- From the Ohio AAP
- From Other Organizations