Store It Safe is a unique partnership of healthcare providers, firearm safety experts, and community organizations established to keep children safe from unintentional firearm deaths and teens safe from suicide by firearms. Young children are often curious and will touch anything, while teens are still learning to control impulses. Our goal is to inform families of risks so they can keep their children safe.
Reversing the Trend of Irreversible Actions
Half of all unintentional shooting deaths among children occur at home, and almost half occur in the home of a friend or relative
- Nationally, 1 out of 3 homes with kids has a firearm
- Nearly 1.7 million kids live in a home with a loaded and unlocked firearm
- ¼ of 3 and 4 year olds can pull a 10-pound trigger, and approximately 60% of handguns require trigger-pull strength of less than 5 pounds
- The number of children shot and killed by firearms has an upward trend in the past 6 years, according to the Franklin County Child Fatality Review
Quick Tips for Keeping Children Safe in the Home
Children over age two are mobile and curious, it’s important to set up your home to keep children safe. Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Firearms should always be stored out of sight and locked when not in immediate possession of the owner.
- Keep medicines, alcohol, and household cleaners out of a child’s reach.
- Check for hazards in homes your child may visit.
View the Ohio AAP’s Store It Safe Materials:
- Helpful Resources From Other Organizations
WANT TO BE PART OF THE SOLUTION?