The Ohio AAP’s Advocacy Pillar coordinates the Chapter’s state legislative efforts and overall messaging. Pillar members also aim to be the “experts at the table” for children’s issues in the state of Ohio.
The pillar leaders spent many hours at the Ohio statehouse, meeting with representatives and other children’s and physician organizations, to advocate for our members and the children of Ohio. We welcome your involvement in this pillar and our advocacy activities. Contact Melissa Wervey Arnold to get involved!
State Legislation Watch List:
- House Bill 559 – Would create a single process for people opting out of vaccines that requires a conversation with a healthcare provider and allows for public reporting of vaccine rates in schools to protect children who cannot protect themselves. You can find more information on how you can help here. The Ohio AAP supports.
- House Bill 193 – Would prohibit businesses from requiring their employees to to get the flu shot. The Ohio AAP opposes.
- House Bill 226 – Would legalize the sale of consumer grade fireworks, including bottle rockets, firecrackers and missiles, with only minimal safety restrictions in place. The Ohio AAP opposes.
- House Bill 273 – Would prohibit requiring physicians to have very important maintenance of certification credit. The Ohio AAP opposes.
- House Bill 191 – Would amend the ORC regarding the practice of certified registered nurse anesthetists. The Ohio AAP opposes.
- House Bill 131 – Would modify the laws governing the practice of physical therapy. The Ohio AAP opposes.
- House Bill 326 – Would allow psychologists to prescribe psychotropic drugs. The Ohio AAP opposes.
- House Bill 145 – Would establish a confidential program to treat impaired practitioners. The Ohio AAP is monitoring.
- House Bill 7 – Would address medical liability laws. The Ohio AAP supports.
- Fireworks Bill Passes Ohio House, Ohio AAP Continues Opposition – October 11, 2017
- Issue 2 is a Problem, Not a Cure – October 4, 2017
- Tell Congress to Extend CHIP Funding NOW – September 27, 2017
- Medicaid Rate Cuts – September 20, 2017
- Harmful Flu Shot Legislation Referred Back to Committee – September 20, 2017
- Ohio AAP Wins Battle to Keep BCMH – March 2017
- Families Who Rely on BCMH Thank the Ohio AAP for fighting to keep the Program – March 2017
1. Improve Ohio’s Immunization Rate and Data
2. Protect Children from Unintentional 3. Firearm Injuries and Suicide
4. Target Special health Needs of Adolescents
5. Injury Prevention
6. State Budget
• AAP Children’s Health Care coverage fact sheets from AAP
• Find Your Representative
• Get the most recent advocacy updates in Ohio AAP Today, our weekly email newsletter. Contact Melanie Farkas
• Become a Tweetatrician
• Read updates in the Ohio Pediatrics Statehouse Update