Fifty Rural Ohio Pediatricians Needed to Support ACA
The Ohio Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics has joined UHCAN Ohio to advocate for the Affordable Care Act (ACA) to Ohio Sen. Rob Portman. The AAP and Ohio AAP stand firm in favor of continued support of ACA for the health of Ohio’s children.
Fifty rural Ohio pediatricians are needed to contact Sen. Portman and ask him to support the continuation of ACA. Here are some things you can do:
- Letter to the Editor: Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper highlighting the impact that Medicaid expansion has had on your patients. Include a story if you can. If your letter is printed or put online, send it to Sen. Portman.
- Use this fact sheet.
- Review these two sample letters written by physicians: Letter 1, Letter 2
- Op-Ed: Write an op-ed piece for your local newspaper doing the same. Here is a template op-ed you may use and submit. If your op-ed is printed or put online, send it to Sen. Portman.
- Invite Your Patients: Ask your patients to share their stories. Use this consent form template and share your stories if you’d like to use their real names. Send the story to Sen. Portman.
- Invite Your Colleagues: Ask your fellow physicians to take action. Here is a sample email or letter to send.
How to contact Sen. Rob Portman:
- Columbus Office
- 37, West Broad St., Room 300, Columbus, OH 43215
- Phone: 614-469-6774
- Washington, DC Office
- 448 Russell Senate Office Building, Washington, DC 20510
- Phone: 202-224-3353
- Twitter: @SenRobPortman
You may find more resources from UHCAN Ohio by going to their Protect Our Care Action Center webpage.
If you send a letter or are published in a newspaper, contact Ohio AAP CEO Melissa Wervey Arnold.