If you would like to be added to the list for notification of future helmet opportunities, please contact Hayley Southworth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Resources for 2016:
- The League of American Bicyclists; Preview Quick Guides for great tips!
- Oregon Department of Transportation; Many materials, including brochures in other languages!
- ABC Quick Check Handout from NHTSA
- Safe Biking for Kids Coloring and Activity Book from Oregon DOT
- Ohio AAP Bike Education Handout
- Ohio AAP Bike Education Postcard
- Sample Social and Traditional Media Outreach Message
Wearing a helmet every time you ride a bike is a proven way to save lives!
Each year, the number of people injured by not wearing a bike helmet was 51,000 – enough people to fill nearly half of Ohio stadium! Simply providing a $10 helmet to a child can also take $41 out of our health care system.
Since 2011, the Ohio AAP has operated the Put a Lid on It! Campaign to promote Bike Helmet Safety Awareness. Millions of people have heard the message of helmet safety through the campaign and nearly 20,000 helmets have been given out.
For the second year, the Ohio AAP is partnering with the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) to distribute up to 10,000 bike helmets to organizations around the state. ODOT will again allow the Ohio AAP to set up boxes with thousands of helmets at their facility near downtown Columbus to hand out to police departments, schools, and dozens of other organizations that had previously filled out an application for the program. These organizations will hold events during Bike Helmet Safety Awareness Week (May 9-21, 2016). You may access a list of the 2015 recipients here. (Please contact Hayley Southworth for more information.)
Bike Helmet Safety Testimonials
- Bailey’s Story: Bailey was just 13 years-old when he was killed after a bicycle accident while not wearing a helmet. Click here to this emotional story.
- Dylan’s Story: Dylan’s dad recounts his son’s accident after an emergency room physician told him a bike helmet likely saved his life. Click here to read it.
- Share your story! Email Hayley Southworth your bike helmet story!
What Can You Do?
You can help take steps to encourage helmet use, even if you only have five minutes.
- Encourage your Ohio legislators to participate in Bike Helmet Safety Awareness Week and support legislation requiring helmet use by sending a letter, email or making a phone call. Find your representative here.
- Send a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. View a sample here.
- Like our Facebook page at facebook.com/bikehelmetsafety and share our messages with your friends!
- Follow us on Twitter at @OHPediatricians and retweet our messages to your followers
- Post message on your Twitter feed and Facebook page before and during the week of May 9 – 21 – samples are available in our toolkits below. Use the hashtag #BikeHelmetSafety. View sample posts here.
- Send an email message to members and employees of your organization to inform them of Bike Helmet Safety Awareness Week! View a sample here.
- Distribute the flyers and materials below to everyone you know, particularly parents of children who ride bikes! You can view our toolkits with these materials below.
- Ohio AAP Handouts
- Other Resources
Bill would require Ohio kids to wear bike helmets – Columbus Dispatch, May 6, 2015
State Senator Introduces Bicycle Helmet Legislation – WBNS, May 6, 2015
- Helmets would be required for bikers under 16 – Dayton Daily News, May 5, 2015
More Ways to Get Involved with the Put a Lid on It! Campaign
If you have any questions about Bike Helmet Safety Awareness Week, or any of the Ohio AAP’s other injury prevention initiatives, please contact Hayley Southworth at email@example.com or 614.846.6258.
If you would like to make a donation to the Ohio AAP to support Injury Prevention, or one of the Foundation Pillar’s other programs, click here.