95% of brain development occurs between birth and 5 years old. Parents are their child’s first and best teacher. In America 1 in 3 children do not have the basic literacy skills to be successful when they enter Kindergarten. However, 85% of children have the ability to read on grade level. Children who start Kindergarten behind rarely fully catch up.
– William Knobeloch, MD, FAAP, Ohio AAP Foundation Pillar Member
Join the Ohio AAP in raising Early Literacy Awareness during National Reading Month this March. By sharing reading and books with children as young as infants, families and healthcare professionals can help prepare children for lifelong learning. Science shows that #BooksBuildBrains, and you can partner to share this message in simple actions:
- View Dr. William Knobeloch’s interview for Early Literacy Awareness for ideas and tips!
- Anyone can use the resources and tips in the Ohio AAP’s Early Literacy Awareness Toolkit (available for download here)
- If you are a parent, family member, or caregiver for children – read (and encourage others to read) with the children in your life every day
- If you are a healthcare or education professional who works with children and families – promote reading with the families you encounter every day
The Ohio AAP can assist you with resources! Provide feedback on how you promote early literacy now, and how we can help for the future, in 5 questions or less at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/OhioAAPLiteracy
Additional resources will be posted on this page all month, and emailed directly to all who complete the survey. For questions on Early Literacy, please contact Hayley Southworth at email@example.com or 614-846-6258.
- Reading Guidance by Age (Birth – 5 Years)
- More Resources for Parents and Professionals
If you or someone you know has any new or gently used children’s books that they would like to donate, please contact the Ohio AAP at 614-846-6258.
If you would like to make a donation to the Ohio AAP Foundation to support Early Literacy, or one of the Foundation’s other program, click here.