Preparing For Your Appointment
Your pediatrician is your partner in ensuring that your child grows and develops into a healthy child. To make the most of this partnership, follow the steps below.
Before your appointment:
- Review a list of typical developmental milestones for your child’s age group, fill it out, and bring it to your appointment to discuss with your doctor. Make notes about your child’s behaviors/milestones so that you do not forget important details during the discussion.
- If your child is exhibiting behaviors that have you concerned, videotape them and bring the video to your appointment (using the camera on your cell phone is an easy way to do this).
- Prepare a list of questions to ask the doctor related to your concerns, such as: - Should we see a specialist to help us in further reviewing the issue? - What resources are available locally to help me with this? - What is our next step as a team to help my child?
During your appointment, be sure to:
- Refer to your checklist and notes during the discussion so you do not forget to share important details.
- Be honest with your doctor and be sure to answer all of his/her questions as thoroughly as you can. Even the smallest detail may be important in ensuring your child receives a proper screening/diagnosis.
- Take notes about the doctor’s recommendations and observations so that you can refer back to those notes at a later time or during future screenings/appointments.
After your appointment:
- Follow your doctor’s recommendations and be sure to keep follow-up appointments.
- Continue to monitor your child’s development and contact your doctor if additional concerns arise.
- Do additional research about any delays that may have been identified during the screening. Remember: the best resource to you is your pediatrician.