Safe Sleep Environments Can Save Lives!
Less than 1% of sleep related deaths happened when a baby was placed alone, on their back, in a bare crib or bassinet, and not exposed to smoking, according to Ohio Child Fatality Review of more than 830 deaths from 2009 – 2013.
AAP Safe Sleep Recommendations:
- Share a bedroom with parents, but not the same sleeping surface. Room-sharing decreases the risk of SIDS by as much as 50 percent.
- Place the baby on his or her back on a firm sleep surface such as a crib or bassinet with a tight-fitting sheet.
- Avoid use of soft bedding, including crib bumpers, blankets, pillows and soft toys. The crib should be bare.
- Avoid baby’s exposure to smoke, alcohol and illicit drugs.
On Monday, October 24, 2016, the American Academy of Pediatrics released an updated policy statement on safe sleep guidelines to reduce the risk of SIDS and other sleep-related deaths. “SIDS and Other Sleep-Related Infant Deaths: Updated 2016 Recommendations for a Safe Infant Sleeping Environment,” draws on new research and serves as the first update to Academy policy since 2011.
Ohio Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics Resources
- Infant Safe Sleep Handout – Ohio AAP
- Special Edition of Ohio Pediatrics for SIDS Awareness Month in October 2016
- Ohio AAP Safe Sleep Infographic
- Ohio AAP SIDS Toolkit
- Ohio AAP Prescription for Safe Sleep
- Injury Education Postcard
- VIDEO: Safe Sleep Tips for Breastfeeding Moms
Breastfeeding & Safe Sleep
More Helpful Resources
- Safe Sleep for Your Baby – ODH
- Sueño Seguro para Tu Bebe – ODH
- Ohio Department of Health (ODH) Safe Sleep Resources
- Is Your Baby Sleeping Safely? Infographic – American Baby
- ODH Infant Safe Sleep PSA
- HealthyChildren.org – Safe Sleep
- Safe to Sleep Public Education Campaign
- Cribs for Kids
- First Candle
- Charlie’s Kids
- Ohio Collaborative to Prevent Infant Mortality
- Safe Sleep Video
- All infants are at risk: urban, rural and suburban; white, black and other races; bottle-fed and breastfed; rich and poor. These videos feature the stories of parents who were affected by SIDS in central Ohio and nationwide.
- Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Safe Sleep, provided by Ohio AAP Injury Prevention Co-Medical Director and mother of three, Dr. Sarah Denny.