Store It Safe is a unique partnership of healthcare providers, firearm safety experts, and community organizations established to keep children safe from unintentional gun deaths and teens safe from suicide by firearms. Young children are often curious and will touch anything, while teens are still learning to control impulses. Our goal is to inform families of risks so they can keep their children safe.
Reversing the Trend of Irreversible Actions
Adolescent suicide has increased 58% in the past 10 years.
- The teen brain is still developing, putting them at a higher risk for many types of injuries, including suicide
- Teens can engage in risky behaviors and react to seemingly small stressors. They may be depressed or make impulsive decisions with deadly results
WHAT CAN WE DO?
The Ohio AAP is working on two specific opportunities:
- PROVIDING EDUCATION to healthcare providers, pediatricians, family doctors and other clinicians statewide
- Training includes using the depression screening and providing educational tools and resources to families, including lock boxes for patients to safely store firearms and medications. Data collected by the Ohio AAP shows that families consider pediatricians the most trusted source for education on injury prevention and firearm safety
*Handouts are subject to additional review and feedback
- DEVELOPING PUBLIC POLICY that would include a tax credit for families to purchase lock boxes and/or other security measures for safe storage solutions for their home.
WANT TO BE PART OF THE SOLUTION?
- Click here and take the #StoreItSafePledge
- Click here to make a donation and support the Store It Safe Program
- Contact Melissa Wervey Arnold, Ohio AAP Chief Executive Officer, at via email or (614) 846-6258 to learn about becoming involved with the Foundation Pillar of the Ohio AAP