- Read about this year’s bike helmet distribution event through our 2020 Press Release Here!
- Download the updated 2020 Bike Helmet Safety Toolkit here.
Partners and Bike Helmet Safety Resources:
- Helmet Advocacy Training Slides
- 2019 Ohio AAP Partner Toolkit
- Revised Ohio AAP Bike Education Postcard
- The League of American Bicyclists; Preview Quick Guides
- Oregon Department of Transportation (many materials, including brochures in other languages)
- ABC Quick Check Handout from NHTSA
- Safe Biking for Kids Coloring and Activity Book from Oregon DOT
- Sample Social and Traditional Media Outreach Messages
Wearing a helmet every time you ride a bike is a proven way to save lives!
Each year, the number of people injured by not wearing a bike helmet was 51,000 – enough people to fill nearly half of Ohio stadium! Simply providing a $10 helmet to a child can also take $41 out of our health care system.
Since 2011, the Ohio AAP has operated the Put a Lid on It! Campaign to promote Bike Helmet Safety Awareness. Millions of people have heard the message of helmet safety through the campaign and more than 57,000 helmets have been given out.
For the fifth year, the Ohio AAP is partnering with the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) to distribute up to 10,000 bike helmets to organizations around the state. ODOT will again allow the Ohio AAP to set up boxes with thousands of helmets at their facility near downtown Columbus to hand out to police departments, schools, and dozens of other organizations that had previously filled out an application for the program. These organizations will hold events during Bike Helmet Safety Awareness Month (May 2019). Please contact Hayley Southworth for more information on becoming involved in Bike Helmet Safety with the Ohio AAP.
Bike Helmet Safety Testimonials
- Bailey’s Story: Bailey was just 13 years-old when he was killed after a bicycle accident while not wearing a helmet. Click here to this emotional story.
- Dylan’s Story: Dylan’s dad recounts his son’s accident after an emergency room physician told him a bike helmet likely saved his life. Click here to read it.
- Share your story! Email Hayley Southworth your bike helmet story!
What Can You Do?
You can help take steps to encourage helmet use, even if you only have five minutes.
- Encourage your Ohio legislators to participate in Bike Helmet Safety Awareness Month and support legislation requiring helmet use by sending a letter, email or making a phone call. Find your representative here.
- Send a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. View a sample here.
- Like our Facebook page at facebook.com/bikehelmetsafety and share our messages with your friends!
- Follow us on Twitter at @OHPediatricians and retweet our messages to your followers
- Post messages on your Twitter feed and Facebook page before and during the month of May 2019 – samples are available in our toolkits below. Use the hashtag #BikeHelmetSafety. View sample posts here.
- Send an email message to members and employees of your organization to inform them of Bike Helmet Safety Awareness Week! View a sample here.
- Distribute the flyers and materials below to everyone you know, particularly parents of children who ride bikes! You can view our toolkits with these materials below.
The 2019 Bike Helmet Safety Awareness Partner Toolkit is available here. Sample social media posts, handouts, and tools to promote Bike Helmet Safety Awareness Month!
2019 Bike Helmet Safety Media Updates:
If you have any questions about Bike Helmet Safety Awareness Week, or any of the Ohio AAP’s other injury prevention initiatives, please contact Olivia Simon at email@example.com or 614.846.6258.
If you would like to make a donation to the Ohio AAP to support Injury Prevention, or one of the Foundation Pillar’s other programs, click here.