Injuries are the number one cause of morbidity and mortality among children in the United States. Education on risk prevention is a healthcare provider’s responsibility, however, many providers do not have the time, nor the training and resources, to adequately address these topics in well child visits.
As a result, the Ohio AAP is working diligently to address this issue by educating parents and healthcare providers. This educational outreach is accomplished through many initiatives, including the following:
- Provider Education:
- Education and Sleep Environment (EASE) Online Learning Collaborative – The Ohio AAP developed the EASE Learning Collaborative to address the issue of inappropriate sleep environments being modeled by healthcare providers in hospital settings. As a result of this, many parents/caregivers adopt unsafe sleep habits/environments for their newborns. Enrollment ends June 30, 2019; program ends September 30, 2019.
- Injury Prevention/Safe Sleep Learning Collaborative – In children less than one year of age, motor vehicle collisions, drowning, physical abuse, and inappropriate sleep positioning and environments most commonly cause these injuries. The Ohio AAP developed two easy-to-use screening tools (birth-4 months and 6-12 months) for implementation into daily clinical practice that allows providers to quickly and efficiently review risky behaviors with families. Enrollment ends June 30, 2019; program ends September 30, 2019.
- EASE Article of the Month MOC Part II Program – This program allows providers to learn about the best practices of safe sleep for all settings, including hospitals, primary care, and home visiting. Topics covered include breastfeeding, smoking, safe sleep, and more. By completing a series of 11 modules, participants can earn 20 points of MOC Part II credit and 20 hours of CME.
- Community and Provider Resources:
- Injury Prevention Resources for Providers, Birth – Five Years of Age
- Resources to Address Social Determinants of Health
- Interconception Care/IMPLICIT Toolkit Resources
- Safe Sleep Training for Home Visitors (Webinar)
- Put A Lid On It! Bike Helmet Safety Awareness
- Safe Sleep Awareness
- Teen Safe Driving Initiative
- Glass-Front Fireplace Safety