Experts at the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the American Burn Association (ABA) urge parents who own a glass-fronted gas fireplace to follow safety measures:
- Purchase and install a protective, heat-resistant fireplace safety screen to use as a barrier on gas-burning fireplaces. The screen should be able to support the weight of the child.
- Be aware that toddlers and young children are at significant risk of being burned by the hot glass front if the fireplace is burning and for at least 30 minutes after the fire is out.
- Make sure supervision and awareness continues for gas fireplaces at resorts or when visiting another home.
- Consider not using the fireplace around young children.
- If your child is burned, cool the area with water, apply moist clean bandages and seek medical attention (visit HealthyChildren: http://bit.ly/1Ch5EDw).